APPLY FOR A STUDENTSHIP
The LAHP Open studentship competition is currently closed. Applications for 2021/22 entry will reopen in late November and the updated timeline and eligibility details will be published in due course.
The London Arts and Humanities Partnership has up to 90 studentships per year available for postgraduate research students studying arts and humanities disciplines at King’s College London, London School of Economics and Political Science, Queen Mary University of London, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Royal College of Art, Royal College of Music, School of Advanced Study or University College London. Your research topic must be within the subject areas covered by the AHRC.
Subject to availability, these awards will cover:
- Tuition fees for a maximum of three years at the Home/EU rate.
- Annual maintenance grant or allowance (stipend) for Home students.
- Subject to HEI approval, LAHP has a limited number of full awards (fees and stipend) for EU students designated `fees-only’ by the AHRC.
- Access to Research Training Support funding to support training & development activities.
Studentship Competition Timeline
- 28th November 2019 – Applications open via the LAHP website.
- 28th November 2019-31st January 2020 – Applicants MUST have submitted an application for PhD study at one LAHP partner institution before the application deadline (please note application deadlines for individual institutions might be different. Please check directly with your own institution).
- 31st January 2020 at 23.59 – Application deadline. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.
- 7th February 2020 at 23.59 – Deadline for Supervisor Statement of support. Applicants will be responsible for ensuring that this statement is received by the deadline.
- 30th March 2020 – Students must be in receipt of an offer on their chosen PhD programme at a LAHP partner institution. (LAHP conducts these checks directly with the HEI Admissions Offices)
- 30th April 2020 – Offers of LAHP awards to successful candidates.
- Within two weeks of the offer of a LAHP award – students to accept/decline the LAHP offer.
- 1st October 2020 – Studentships to begin.
- Have submitted an application to commence a programme of postgraduate study at a LAHP partner institution in the 2020/21 academic year (i.e. to start in September/October 2020), or
- If you have already commenced doctoral study, you may apply for funding for the remainder of your study, providing that, at the start of the AHRC award (1st October 2020), you will have at least 50% of the period of study remaining (excluding the writing-up period).
Funding is available for both full-time and part-time students. Awards cannot normally be deferred. Successful candidates will be assumed to be starting their studies in September/October 2020 unless there are exceptional circumstances approved by LAHP and the HEI.
LAHP studentships are open to UK and EU students who meet the residency requirements as detailed on page 13-14 of the UKRI Conditions of Research Council Training Grants. Please contact the Admissions Office of the institution where you are applying for a PhD place to determine your fee status assessed. LAHP is not able to advise on residency requirements.
Please note: Subject to HEI approval, LAHP has a limited number of full awards (fees and stipend) for EU students designated `fees-only’ by the AHRC.
Applications cannot be accepted from students liable to pay fees at the Overseas rate.
Academic qualifications and relevant professional / practitioner experience
Applicants are welcome with relevant professional / practitioner experience and who normally hold a first-class or upper-second class Honours degree or equivalent and a Masters degree in a relevant subject.
You MUST apply for your place of study before the application deadline of 31st January 2020.
After submitting an application for a programme of postgraduate study at your chosen LAHP institution, you should receive an application ID number from the institution, which you will need to provide at Question 1 of the LAHP studentship competition application form. If you have already commenced doctoral study, please enter your existing student ID number.
If your project crosses the remit of the AHRC and another UKRI Research Council, it is possible for you to apply to both LAHP and another DTP funded by a different Research Council. Note that LAHP does not forward your application to other DTPs for consideration. You must apply separately to each DTP. If you are successful in both the LAHP competition and that of the other DTP, AND you are applying through a university that is a member of both DTPs, LAHP may approach the other DTP to discuss possible joint funding of your studentship.
You would need to be successful in both the LAHP competition and the other DTP competition in order to be considered for a joint studentship. Joint funding would not affect the value of your stipend. You would be registered in the institution of your first supervisor, receive a degree from that institution and be subject to its regulations. One DTP would be identified as your ‘home’ DTP for administrative purposes, but you would be a member of both DTPs and have full access to their training and events programmes.
Please read the following carefully and refer to this guidance when completing your studentship application form:
- We strongly recommend that you consult with your proposed supervisors before starting the online form and prepare all the materials you will need to answer the questions in advance.
- Please read the Declaration at the beginning of the online application form.
- The online application form cannot be saved and submitted later. It will need to be completed and submitted in one sitting. It is highly recommended that you download the Word version of the form and complete your answers there before you copy and paste your answers into the online version of the form. The Word versions of the form can be downloaded here: LAHP Studentship Application Form – Part A and LAHP Studentship Application Form – Part B. You will need to complete both forms in order to submit your application. The details of both your primary and secondary supervisor will be required.
- All questions on the online application form marked with an asterisk are mandatory. If you do not need to provide an answer to a mandatory question, please enter “Not Applicable” into the response field.
- Some questions on the online application form will expand into further questions depending on your answer. This may result in the numbering of questions on your Word from differing slightly from the numbering on the online form. Aside from numbering differences, all questions on the online form will be the same as those on the Word version.
- Once you have submitted your online application form, you will receive an Email containing your Unique ID (UID). Please keep this UID in a safe place as it will be used to identify your application and match it to your supervisor’s statement form.
- Once you have submitted your application, your first named supervisor will receive an Email with a link to the online statement form that they will need to complete as part of your application. Your supervisor will also be provided with your UID. It is important that the Email addresses you have provided on your application form for yourself and your first named supervisor are correct as the Emails will be sent to these addresses. If you and / or your supervisor have not received an Email containing your UID on the day you submit your application, please notify the LAHP Office immediately.
- Your first named supervisor’s statement form will also need to include details of your second / joint supervisor. You and your first named supervisor will need to coordinate to input this information on the form as only your first named supervisor can submit the Supervisor Statement form. Please note that the Supervisor Statement form cannot be saved and submitted later. It will need to be completed and submitted in one sitting. It is highly recommended that your supervisor downloads the Word version of the form and completes their statement there before copying and pasting into the live form. The Word version of the form can be downloaded here: LAHP Supervisor Statement Form
- If you need to change your application after you have submitted, you will not be able to make changes to the submitted form. You will need to submit a new form. If you need to resubmit, please notify the LAHP Office as soon as possible as you will need to disregard your original UID and be issued within a new UID upon submission of the new form. You will also need to notify your first named supervisor to disregard the Email that they have received under your old UID as a new Email with your new UID will be sent to them after you resubmit your application. Please note that resubmissions will only be accepted prior to the competition deadline of 31st January 2020.
Your application will only be considered complete if you have done the following:
- You have already applied for a ‘place to study’ at one LAHP institution by 31st January 2020, 23:59.
- A completed LAHP application form has been submitted via the application portal by 31st January 2020, 23:59.
- The Supervisor Statement has been submitted via the application portal by 7th February 2020, 23:59.
LAHP will not accept incomplete or incorrectly submitted applications.
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION
The main sections of the application form are as follows, with further details as specified on the form:
- Non-technical summary (up to 600 characters)
- Practice-led research (up to 1,500 characters)
- Research proposal (up to 8,000 characters across two questions)
- Key references (up to 10)
- Timetable for completion (up to 600 characters)
- Professional / practitioner experience (up to 4,000 characters)
- Academic or Professional qualifications (up to 4,000 characters)
- Personal statement (up to 4,000 characters)
- Additional training needs (up to 600 characters)
Please note that the character limits specified are inclusive of spaces. It is recommended that you check your character count on the Word version of the application form prior to copying and pasting your responses into the online form.
Please refer to the assessment criteria and weightings when preparing your application. These are available for download here: assessment criteria and weightings
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
The LAHP DTP Open Studentship Competition 2020/21 online application form must be completed and submitted via the LAHP Application Portal. The online form link is available here: Online Application Form
The deadline for submitting your online application to the LAHP DTP is 31st January 2020 at 23.59.
You can submit the form by hitting the ‘SUBMIT’ button at the end of the form. Your application will be successfully submitted once you see the following message on the screen:
Thank you for submitting your application. An Email has now been sent to the Email address you provided on your application form.
Please check your inbox including your junk / spam folder as the Email contains your application Unique ID (UID) reference.
You will also be asked to complete a few short questions about Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Your answers to these questions will be kept confidential and will not be used in the assessment of your application.
Once you have submitted your application, ensure that your proposed first named supervisor has received an Email containing a link to the LAHP DTP Supervisor Statement, which needs to be submitted by 7th February 2020 at 23:59.
Your application must be supported by a Supervisor Statement from your first named supervisor and will be incomplete without this statement.
The statement must be from the first named supervisor on your application for PhD study (at one of the above LAHP partner institutions). For current students, please add details of your first named supervisor.
Please add their details under the ‘First Supervisor’ section of the application form.
Your first named supervisor must submit the Supervisor Statement no later than Friday 7th February 2020 at 23:59.
The online form link is available here: LAHP DTP Open Studentship Competition Supervisor Statement
Following the submission of your application, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that your Supervisor Statement is received by the LAHP Office on firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of 7th February 2020 at 23:59.
Please ensure you have spoken to your first named supervisor well in advance of the deadline so that they are aware that they are willing and able to complete the Supervisor Statement.
Supervisor Statements received after this time will NOT be considered and your application will be rejected.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the LAHP Office at email@example.com
You can view the video of the open meeting with prospective students and supervisors on 20th November here.
The presentation slides can be downloaded here.
For additional sources of funding available outside of LAHP please consult your HEI and/or refer to the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding here.
All LAHP HEIs other than the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama (RSCCD) subscribe to this guide. LAHP is in conversation with the RCSSD about this.