Intensive Modern Language courses
Language courses available
French & German
Intermediate (B1, B2)
Please see the MLC leaflet for the full timetable of the classes.
Courses are funded by LAHP, but you will need to cover the cost of textbooks (between £20 and £40 approx.) and of taking optional exams.
Please ONLY sign up if you can commit to attend the classes on one of the days and times options indicated on the attached leaflet (attendance will be monitored).
*Attendance for the three terms is compulsory and a minimum of 75% attendance is expected. Students should expect to do 4 to 8 hours of self-study per week. The classes will be taught online.
These courses are open to all arts & humanities and social sciences PhD students at University College London, King’s College London, School of Advanced Study, Queen Mary University of London, London School of Economics and Political Science, Royal College of Art, Royal College of Music and Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. Priority will be given to LAHP AHRC-funded students.
Instructions on how to sign up – please read carefully
- Complete the KCL MCL module applicationbefore Monday 7th September.
- On completion of the module application KCL MLC will advise you to either:
- a)book onto the complete beginner/ continuing (with a minimum of 75% attendance) course OR
- b)book a level assessment (via phone or skype) ( if you have achieved up to 75% attendance in the previous year or if you have some experience of the language)
- MLC will advise level assessment students of their outcome and which course level to enrol on.
- To enrol on a course you must register using LAHP enrolment form (google form)by 21st September. PLEASE ONLY COMPLETE THIS ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE KCL MLC MODULE APPLICATION AND COMPLETED THE RELEVANT LEVEL TEST. Please note this does not guarantee a place on the course*. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
* The finalised course offerings will be published at the end of September. Priority will be given to LAHP AHRC-funded students.
Interested in learning other languages?
If you are interested in learning other languages, the King’s Modern Language Centre offers a great range of courses in 23 languages. To find out more details, please visit the King’s MLC website.