The LAHP Placement Scheme aims to match the interests, skills, and training needs of LAHP students with the needs and priorities of LAHP non-HEI partners, leading to a number of small/medium scale collaborative projects. Our placements provide students with the invaluable opportunity to build up their CV while studying with us, potentially opening up new career avenues for them.
These placements will enable students to develop transferable skills that can be applied to their PhD research, engage the public in fresh and interesting ways, experience a working environment in a different sector from academia, discover new ways of working and new methodologies, and develop their employability skills.
- Placements can be undertaken at times most convenient for all parties and there is no set structure for how they must be taken; students could, for instance spend 1 day a week or every day for 3 weeks on a placement, as is suitable for the project, the student, and the partner.
- Students must discuss placements with their supervisors before applying and should ideally be in the middle years of their degree; placements must start within the funded period of the studentship.
- Placements must fall within the AHRC terms & conditions.
Routes to placements
If you are interested in undertaking a placement, there are three possible routes:
1. Placements designed by our existing LAHP non-HEI Partners
Our existing placement hosts regularly design placement opportunities for LAHP students in areas that provide students with invaluable industry experience, and which contribute directly to the development needs of the organisation. Please see our Placement Opportunities Available section for details of all current opportunities and how to apply. Some hosts will have their own application process, and others will require you to complete an Expression of Interest Form.
If successful in your application for one of these placements, please note that you also need to notify LAHP and complete a Placement Agreement Form.
2. Proposing a placement to an existing LAHP non-HEI Partner
Some of our existing partners are open to placement proposals from students in which you define the area of work that you would like your placement to be focused on. Please check out our placement host profiles below to see which institutions are currently willing to consider expressions of interest from students.
If you have an idea for a placement with a host open to student placement proposals, please complete the Expression of Interest Form and send it to email@example.com to outline your proposal. The LAHP Office will then liaise with the relevant non-HEI Partner and then put you in contact with a mentor there.
3. Placements with new Partners
If you are considering a placement with an organisation that is not within the current LAHP non-HEI partners, or you and your supervisor are already in contact with a specific organisation, you can liaise directly with them and then submit the Placement Agreement Form to firstname.lastname@example.org when all arrangements are agreed with the partner institution and your supervisor.
Support for your placement
If your placement involves a substantial commitment, you can consider one of the following:
- Interrupting for the period of the placement. Please note that during this period your stipend will be suspended, but your submission end date will be extended by the equivalent period. If this is something you would like to discuss, please contact email@example.com
- Applying to the Research Extension and Placement Fund which would extend your stipend payments but not your submission end date. For example, if your placement is undertaken over a period of 4 months, this would extend your funding end date by the equivalent 4 months, but not your submission date.
A LAHP research extension is a period of up to six months in which a student may take time out of his or her normal programme of research (year 2 or year 3) in order to engage in activity, collaborative in a wide sense, with a national or international body which:
- will enhance the impact of the research, or the international standing of the HEI and LAHP;
- will have the effect of bridging a divide between academic research and the non-academic community (cultural bodies, industry, politics, policy, NGOs and so on);
- establish a professional relationship beneficial to a student’s research and career prospects.
The Research Extension and Placement Fund cannot be used to extend the writing up period. The submission deadline remains the same for all students.
To apply for funding for your placement, please read the following guidelines carefully and complete the application form:
Applications for the LAHP Research Extension and Placement Fund are accepted on a rolling basis (for placement related extensions only). Please note, your placement must be approved before you submit an application for the LAHP Research Extension and Placement Fund.
Placement host profiles
Here you can find a list of thenon-HEI Partners who have agreed to the LAHP Placement scheme. By clicking on the individual links, you will be able to find out more about the type of placements that each partner offers as well as whether they are open to placement proposals from LAHP students and supervisors. Please check this list regularly as we update it as and when new Partners join.
If you can’t find a suitable partner from this list, you can liaise directly with institutions that you or your supervisors have developed/or intend to develop collaborations with and then submit the LAHP agreement forms to us once the placement arrangements have been agreed.
ACTIVE PLACEMENT HOSTS
Placement opportunities available
Here you can find all the placement opportunities that are currently open for applications.
Placement case studies
Find out about our LAHP students’ experiences in the placement case studies section.
Drop in sessions
This is a 15-minute drop in session during which you will be able to discuss any query you may have on setting up a placement through the LAHP placement scheme.
Booking details for 2023/24 to follow soon.
If you would like to contact LAHP regarding a placement query, please email firstname.lastname@example.org