LAHP provides PhD students with an extensive program of training in practical research skills and offers opportunities to experience first-hand the workings of some of London’s greatest cultural institutions. The few years you spend as a doctoral student are a time to experiment, innovate, and make connections that may be fundamental and long-lasting as you go forward with your research and future career. We hope the courses and events that we offer will stimulate this process. The British Academy has produced a report, The Right Skills: Celebrating Skills in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, which we encourage you to read when you are thinking about your own development.
The research training available includes the following:
- Language learning (including Arabic, French, Spanish, Italian, German and Russian),
- Practical workshops (including archive research training, Website development and digital humanities),
- Public speaking and research presentation skills,
- Public engagement in the Arts and Humanities,
- Talks, seminars and workshops across London (disciplinary and interdisciplinary)
- Opportunities to work with cultural partners in London
All LAHP Training sessions are open to all arts & humanities postgraduate research students at UCL, KCL, SAS, LSE, QMUL, RCA, RCM, CSSD. Priority booking is given to LAHP AHRC-funded students. Bookings will open approx. 1 month prior to each workshop.